[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:23:39 GMT 2009

2009/11/11 Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>:
> 2009/11/11 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
>> On 11/11/09 08:46, Sean Miller wrote:
>>> Anyone else think £390 for a base unit is somewhat expensive???
>>
>> Yes, it does seem quite pricey.
>>

> Tricky
>
>> On this video on the BBC
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8353468.stm with RCJ the developer
>> does say it is built on top of Linux Mint.
>>

> Liam (the guy in the video) is on this mailing list.
>
> Interesting for a few reasons. I like the idea of a nice simple
> "dashboard" style interface. Reminds me of the old Xandros (debian
> based) distro which shipped with the Eee PC originally. I'm also
> interested in it being Linux Mint. As I understand it Mint ships with
> stuff that Ubuntu doesn't out of the box. Things like codecs and
> Flash, so everything "just works". I thought Flash was not re
> distributable (which is why it's not actually in the Ubuntu repository
> at all).

Read that the interface is Eldy which is freely downloadable from
http://www.eldy.eu/ for Linux and that Windows thing.

So it's £300+ for a stand alone desktop with a slow CPU and no mention
of hard disk space or memory, running a free operating system with an
additional free interface.

I think theres a bit of profit in that.

Simon