[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Nov 11 09:06:10 GMT 2009

2009/11/11 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
> On 11/11/09 08:46, Sean Miller wrote:
>> Anyone else think £390 for a base unit is somewhat expensive???
>
> Yes, it does seem quite pricey.

Tricky

> On this video on the BBC
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8353468.stm with RCJ the developer
> does say it is built on top of Linux Mint.

Liam (the guy in the video) is on this mailing list.

Interesting for a few reasons. I like the idea of a nice simple
"dashboard" style interface. Reminds me of the old Xandros (debian
based) distro which shipped with the Eee PC originally. I'm also
interested in it being Linux Mint. As I understand it Mint ships with
stuff that Ubuntu doesn't out of the box. Things like codecs and
Flash, so everything "just works". I thought Flash was not re
distributable (which is why it's not actually in the Ubuntu repository
at all).

> What I'd like to know is how they manage to get such good publicity? I
> don't recall the BBC asking for us to come and talk about Libertus:
> http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/libertus

Time to fire the marketing director ;)

Cheers,
Al.