[ubuntu-uk] Annoyances In Ubuntu

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Nov 6 16:54:19 GMT 2009

2009/11/6  <Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk>:
> However the page at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs says
> about the GUI tools: "This method is preferable to filing a bug at the
> Launchpad website - it automatically attaches relevant information,
> which helps analyze the problem.". The page is quite insistent that you

Yeah, it certainly is preferable, I just kind of read your mail as you
_must_ do that. Sorry.

> should use the tools to report bugs rather than the Launchpad site
> itself. It infers that filling in bugs yourself should be the last
> resort. In my experience bugs I have reported directly on LP seem to get
> overlooked or given lower priority than the ones reported using 'Report
> a Problem' or Ubuntu-bug.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/94130

Looks like the bug in ubuntu-bug over a proxy that you're experiencing.

One way around this is to tunnel port 80 and 443 out of your machine
to a box outside the proxy, but that's a bit ugly.

> Thanks for the help with the package names, that will help when
> reporting. I'm pretty sure the issue with the Authenticate window is
> more to with policykit than gdm though.

Could be.

Just fyi the way i found out the package names was:-

Start the program in question
Run "ps -ef" to list processes
Find the offender near the bottom
Run "dpkg -S <programname>" to find out which package it was in.

> If I right-click on the desktop and click Change Desktop Background it
> takes me to exactly the same place as clicking Preferences > Appearance
> - the Appearance dialog.

Surely it takes you to the "background" tab of the appearance dialog,
which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

> Is the run application dialog metacity rather than nautilus?

No. Metacity is the window manager, nautilus is the file browser (with
bells on).

Cheers,
Al.