[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 55, Issue 9

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:28:01 GMT 2009

Re: Rectifying OpenOffice.org Probolems

When I upgraded my Xubuntu installation from 9.04 to 9.10 I discovered that, on opening any OO module other than Base, it immediately went into a document recovery loop regarding the default Untitled.odt file. Recovering the file didn't actually make any difference. A web search suggested deleting a file called Recovery.xcu buried deep in the file system. This didn't actually work for me so I deleted OO using Synaptic and reinstalled it from the Ubuntu repository. No difference. I deleted it again and reinstalled using the Debian installation file from the OO website. No difference again.

Following much experimentation and frustration the solution turned out to be to delete every file and folder on my system prefixed "Openoffice" or "OOO", then reinstall the Debian file again. Job done. Now everything works perfectly.

Incidentally, I've noticed that there is a difference in the user interface after installation between the Ubuntu repository package and the OO-supplied Debian file. The Ubuntu installation gives you a grey "rectangular" interface; particularly on dialogs and buttons. This is reminiscent of early Windows. The OO-supplied installation gives you a more modern and pleasing appearance with rounded dialog controls. Does anyone know if this is a configuration setting or does it, perhaps, result from different compiler settings.

Nige