[ubuntu-uk] Not a good press

Paul Roach roachy at roachy.net
Tue Nov 3 15:55:24 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Ed Morgan <ejr.morgan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is is possible that the Karmic release is getting something of a higher
> profile in the mainstream press due to it's release pretty much coinciding
> with Windows 7, and the hype that's been generated about it?
>
> I think it's equally possible that increased exposure is currently
happening due to the ongoing efforts of the community as a whole to build a
"desktop friendly, user friendly" distro.  Ubuntu is generally ahead of the
pack in it's "no-hassle" installation and is rapidly becoming a distribution
for the masses - the danger is, of course that the wrong party line is
getting issued and Ubuntu (& Linux in general) is getting touted as a free
version of Windows - not something that is *not* Windows, has nothing to do
with Windows and cannot be expected to behave in the same way as Windows.
Software compatibility is an equal issue.  Gripes like "I can't install
Photoshop/Sage/etc" need to be countered before the user blitzes their copy
of Windows and suddenly realizes they need to learn to use a new product to
do things they knew how to do previously..

For the most part it's about managing expectations, as with most things in
life.  Improperly managed expectations will undoubtedly result in
disappointment - however I have to say that Karmic is the plushest release
yet - and the difference in performance and integration of applications
between 9.04 and 9.10 is amazing...