[ubuntu-uk] Not a good press

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 10:20:30 GMT 2009

mac wrote:
> You'll probably have seen this:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/karmic_koala_frustration/
>
> Not the press we'd have hoped for - and from a usually friendly source.
>   I must say, I, too, had a bit of a problem with an upgrade from 9.04
> (just a failure of the automatic restart, and, on manual reboot, some
> warnings about unmet dependencies that were easily fixed with apt-get).
>   On the other hand, a clean install went fine.
>
> Both of these boxes were elderly, and were machines I keep for playing
> with, so no big deal if they go wrong.  I must say, though, that I won't
> be upgrading my 'production' machines just yet.
>
> mac

I've not had any major issues as such.  I've noticed a couple of bugs
though (such as with Wubi, when you remove a Wubi installed copy of
Ubuntu from XP it doesn't remove the entry from the Boot.ini file) but
no real show stoppers.

I did find another issue too with an older Athlon XP motherboard with
NVidia MCP2 chipset with integrated GeForce 2MX.  I couldn't get higher
than 800x600 with the FLOSS driver and the official NVidia driver was so
unstable it just didn't work.  I gave up and went out and bought a
GeForce FX5200 which works much better (although still not flawless, but
good enough for my liking).  I'm not putting this down to Ubuntu though,
I think it's more a case of an obscure graphics card (I've read about
problems with other distros too).

Rob