[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 server to latest version? And when has an Ubuntu server "crashed"?

Alex Birchall A.Birchall at mdx.ac.uk
Sun Nov 1 10:13:37 GMT 2009

Hello,

I am currently running a server with Hardy Heron 8.04.  Is it advisable
to upgrade to Ubuntu Server Edition 9.10 (Karmic Koala)?  Is the upgrade
a fairly straightforward procedure?

Another question:  The server occasionally crashes, but though I cannot
connect to the web server it is running nor can I connect to it remotely
with SSH, I can still ping it and it replies -- so, strictly speaking,
has it crashed?

Many thanks for any advice received!

Best regards,

Alex Birchall