[ubuntu-uk] Dell mini 10v costs more with Ubuntu than with XP

Paul Broadhead pjbroad at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sun May 31 15:20:24 BST 2009

Alan Pope wrote:

> As I understand it (i.e. this may be factually inaccurate) any OEM
> wishing to sell Ubuntu branded as Ubuntu needs to pay a license to
> Canonical for the use of the trademarked name. I believe there are
> also restrictions upon what you can do, for example you can't
> pre-install skype, but can pre-install some codec bundles (which are
> an additional license cost).

I did not realise that was the case.  However, the figures would be very
useful to know; both for Ubuntu and for windows.  I wish companies could
be more open about the OS cost and stop trying to hide behind different
specifications and machines that cannot be compared.

If companies wanted to be honest with their customers, the cost of the
OS would be clearly stated.  I do not see any reason why dell do
not allow OS customisation (selection) as they do other features.
The various costs could be clearly stated and you would know exactly
what you are paying for.
--
Paul Broadhead