[ubuntu-uk] upgrade to 9.04, skip blacklist for desktop effects, system freeze on startup

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 22:46:18 BST 2009

Hi -- so I finally bit the bullet & upgraded to 9.04 on my Macbook 3,1.When
will I learn? If it ain't broke ...
When I did, it all seemed to go well, but I couldn't enable the desktop
effects I had in Ibex, so I googled the problem, & found lots of
instructions on how to skip the blacklisting of the graphics driver in
compiz.
So I did this, and then thought I might enable the reflection effect in
compiz.
And 30 seconds later my system (mouse & all) froze.
I gave it some time, and then forced a shutdown.
Now, whenever I boot to Ubuntu, the system logs on, shows me my desktop,
then totally freezes.
So I can't even go in & delete the file that skips the blacklisted drivers
for compiz.
Can anyone advise me as to how I can get back to a working system?
I'm rather desperate, as my main dev environment is Ubuntu, and I sort-of
need it to do some work!
Cheers,
   Doug.