[ubuntu-uk] mythtv

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Wed May 27 20:24:40 BST 2009

norman wrote:
>>> It plays, no problem.
>> Surely then the device must exist?
>
> On the face of it you must be correct. I have been reading to find a
> solution and opened a terminal and tried ls -l /dev/dvd. There was no
> response so I tried with /dev/dvd1 with the following result:-
>
> norman at gruber:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-05-25 16:31 /dev/dvd1 -> scd0
> norman at gruber:~$
>
> Is this any help to sorting things out. I use the terminal from time to
> time but I am never sure what things mean but I am learning.

Hello, Norman.

You might find an answer to your question in:

   /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

This keeps track of the CD/DVD drives that have been detected on your
system: If you upgrade your CD/DVD drive, or connect it differently, the
"udev" system will then create a symbolic link for the new drive when it
is detected and add it to the file. I suspect that your /dev/dvd1 was
created automatically by "udev" after one of your upgrades.

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK