[ubuntu-uk] dial up connection?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue May 26 12:58:16 BST 2009

Farran Lee wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 21:01 +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
>
>> Ferran,
>>
>> If I can get to my wife's house I might have a wireless router I can
>> send you, if you draw a blank.  Have a couple in the garage.
>>
>> But it might take a week or two.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> oh cool, sounds good :) my friend's pc is in her room, about a million
> miles away from the modem anyway - they weren't sure what to do for
> internet bar lugging the whole pc downstairs every time. Of course I'll
> discuss it with her (and parents) first, but otherwise thanks very
> much :)

A wireless router (or alternatively a wired router with either homeplug
ethernet over mains adapters or a long ethernet cable) would be the
ideal solution I'd say, otherwise if they only have one PC, a phone
extension cable from the modem to the nearest phone socket might work
although IIRC BT recommend not having an extension longer than 30
metres.  Of course too there is the issue that the longer the cable from
the modem to the phone socket you're more likely to loose some speed due
to interference.

Rob