[ubuntu-uk] Business with Ubuntu

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 26 09:25:25 BST 2009

On 26/05/09 09:04, James Milligan wrote:
> Let me just say that I couldn't think of a better title for this, so
> please  improve it if you can!
>
> The shop I work in sells desktop computers that are built to order
> each time, meaning the OS too. We also sell laptops by ASUS but that's
> not really relevant at the moment. Our main thing, though, is
> repairing computers in general.

If you can or do sell "naked Computers" i.e. without an OS at all,
please drop a comment on our site and we'll add your business to the list.

http://nakedcomputers.org/

> The boss has told me that he's got 2 Ubuntu desktops to be built, and
> he wants me to do them. He said this because I'm pretty much the only
> person in the company that's knows about Ubuntu enough to install it
> and set it up.
>
> I feel that the time is right to suggest moving to Ubuntu as a
> mainstream option when people are choosing what OS to have. The only
> issues I can see, and what he will see, are the following:
>
> - profitability - how much do you 'charge' for Ubuntu to make it
> worthwhile? Also, because of the nature of Windows PCs, we get a lot
> of return sales because of the repairs etc. I know Ubuntu computers
> break, but not as often or as badly as Windows ones do.

There are other firms who sell Linux based PCs and laptops. But I guess
the first question is how much profit do you make on the Windows OEM
license? It can't be that much... (And Ubuntu installs a damn site
quicker that Windows ad you get loads of applications for free too.

Your profit should - I guess - come from the service(s) you offer;
custom build and test, pre-installation, burn-in etc etc etc.

> - training - I'm sure he doesn't want to cough up for the official
> Canonical training, yet I can't go around teaching the guys who know
> more about Windows than I will probably ever do about it. Is there any
> training (preferably close to Manchester, but Cheshire would be better).

I'm sure there will be some guys up your neck of the woods who can help
- you could try your local LUGs for advice?

Al