[ubuntu-uk] Missing Repositories....

John jakewc2 at sky.com
Mon May 25 14:21:47 BST 2009

Matthew Daubney wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Following from those two emails, I think this can be fixed by doing the
> following:
>
> 1. In a terminal run "sudo
> cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup " just in case we
> need it
> 2. Open your sources.list in your favourite editor (sudo
> gedit /etc/apt/sources.list) and select EVERYTHING then delete it. (We
> still have a backup if this goes wrong)
>
> 3. Paste in the following.
>
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
> (20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
> #
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade
> #
> # newer versions of the distribution.
> #
>
> #
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted
> #
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty restricted main
> multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
> #
>
> #
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> #
> ## distribution.
> #
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted
> #
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates restricted main
> multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
> #
>
> #
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
> Ubuntu
> #
> ## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive
> any
> #
> ## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> #
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
> #
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates universe
> #
>
> #
> ## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
> Ubuntu
> #
> ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as
> #
> ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
> #
> ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
> #
> ## security team.
> #
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse
> #
> [...]
Ok, did what you said, and copied and pasted this list, when I try to do
an update though, this is what happens.

jakewc2 at jakewc2-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
E: Type ‘(20090420.1)]/’ is not known on line 3 in source list
/etc/apt/sources.list
jakewc2 at jakewc2-laptop:~$

Dont know what that means sorry.

John.