[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu using wubi on Vista Home machine.....

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sun May 24 21:20:53 BST 2009

2009/5/22 John <jakewc2 at sky.com>:
> I dont know what happened there, but I tooka snapshot of the VM
> uninstalled it, then installed it again, now its working perfectly and
> it even has extras, which I assume must be from the Guest Additions. I
> dont have to use the right/ctrl to access the host machine, it just
> works in and out of the VM. I can even use both LAN and Wireless.

That's one of the bonuses of installing the Guest Additions.

> One
> thing is strange though, in the drop down menu for the connection,
> Network Manager it only shows the Auto Etho connection, whether I'm on
> LAN or Wireless connection. But the Host machine does show both.

That's correct, and expected behaviour.

What's going on? VirtualBox emulates a load of hardware to get the
guest working. One of the things it emulates is a network card - but
it only emulates an ethernet card not a wireless one. It then
'virtually' connects that ethernet card to the host machine, which is
how you can connect to the internet from the guest.

The guest doesn't actually see the real hardware on the host machine -
which is why you don't see the wireless card at all. I hope this makes
sense, and clears up your confusion.

> That is really strange. In the Machine drop down menu a lot more things
> are not grayed out like they were before. So not sure what happened in
> my first couple of installations but it does seem to be working now. I'm
> using the VM to write this.
>
> Thank you so much for all your help. I am learning quite a lot with all
> your help, far more than what I was doing on the Ubuntu Forums. I just
> have to get to grips with the Terminal now.
>
> John

Cofion,
Neil.