[ubuntu-uk] What to buy as an Ubuntu web server?

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:22:50 BST 2009

Hi -- I may be looking to buy a web server for a number of web apps (RoR
served with Passenger & Apache) quite soon.
Could anyone advise me on what hardware to be looking for?
I would want decent speed, so good processors & RAM, and I would like, if
possible, for it to be quite clever about power usage.
Also (& isn't this always the kicker?) I don't want to spend a fortune.
I'll say a few hundred quids, tops, for now, but I don't want that to limit
people's suggestions too much.
& if people have good resources for new & not-so-new machines I could buy,
that play nicely with Ubuntu, that would be great, too.
Cheers,
   Doug.