[ubuntu-uk] Scrambled screen

Greg Herdman gherdman at toucansurf.com
Fri May 22 08:48:42 BST 2009

Thanks Guy,
I followed your second suggestion - using Live CD to examine Xorg.0.log.

I found the following error flag:
    Failed to initialise GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X dribver not
found)

That was the only entry.
What is the significance of the other log files (Xorg.0.log.old,
Xorg.9.log and Xorg.9.old.log) alongside Xorg.0.log ?

The only useful thing I've managed to extract from Xorg.0.log it is that
my video card would appear to be an nVidia GeForce 8500 GT.

I'm almost convinced that I will be able to re-install Ubuntu 8.04LTS
from the CD, leaving the contents of my home folder untouched (I've also
made a backup copy of it) but really need a bit more 'hand-holding'
before I take that leap. Live user mode, from the CD, is a useful
get-me-home option at the moment while my old Windows 98 machine copes
with this e-mail traffic.

Many thnaks for your support.

Best regards

Greg