[ubuntu-uk] Some advice - permissions

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Wed May 20 13:38:27 BST 2009

Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 11:01 +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
>> Should have broadband again today, so going to download an ISO and
>> endeavour to fix my broken Jaunty.
>>
>> Now, a week or so ago somebody said to me that to preserve my data I
>> simply asked it not to format the partition, which would leave /home
>> intact.
>>
>> Two questions :-
>>
>> a. are there any potential side-effects to this (eg. files left from
>> the corrupt version that interfere with the new one)?
>> b. should I set up the default username as something different to the
>> original (ie. if I use the same username could it decide to delete and
>> recreate the user, thus blanking the home directory)?
>>

> Hi Shaun,
>
> As with anything it'll be best to back up anything important first
> (always always do this, never trust ANYTHING completley).
>
> a) You may have one or two artifacts left over from the old install, but
> you will be able to fix this fairly easily as each one is identified.
>
> b) Use the same user, it'll be fine.
>
> Remember, BACKUPS!
>
> -Matt Daubney

regarding point B, if you create a new users then won't this cause
permission issues,  as say old system has

/home/paul

and the new install has /home/paul2

the files will still belong to paul, and will need to have ownership
changed (chown) and (chgrp) so you can read as the new user.

Just a thought, but this is something to perhaps consider, comments
welcome in case I have perhaps mis understood something.

I have my files on a different partition which makes sense, but you also
make a good point regarding back ups.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet :Saturday ** June 6th ** : 3pm,  Shoreline
Cafe Paignton