[ubuntu-uk] Image Windows Drive into a VM

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Wed May 20 13:14:48 BST 2009

Michael Holloway wrote:
> Recently, I spent a lot of time trying to find a decent (easy) way to do
> it, and VMWare's P2V (free) is by far the easiest.

I'll take a look at it.

> Other ways are painfully slow(er) and complicated.

hmmm.

> It worked fine fir Vista64, but for use in VMWare server/workstation.
> You can probably use qemu to convert the disk to Virtualbox.

That's what I was thinking. I have a feeling virtualbox supports the
vmware HD format :-/ I'm fairly sure qemu does.

> Bad news, windows needs reactivation. Good luck with that.

Ah yes, this did occur to me. Sounds like a complete nightmare. :-/

Still probably the best solution. My boss's laptop is blue screening on
average twice a day, which obviously, isn't good.

Really, if I can get him off Vista on a day to day basis, I  suspect
that the whole angle the business will take will start to change.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Tim