[ubuntu-uk] Missing write-protect tab on Secure Digital SD card causing read-only?

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Wed May 20 11:39:31 BST 2009

Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 10:06 +0100, Andrew Oakley wrote:
> > I understand that the write-protect tab on SD cards is optional:
> > However, when I use an SD card without a tab (no tab at all) on my
> > Linux Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server, it mounts it as read-only (ro) and
> > absolutely refuses to mount read-write (rw) even if the
> When you insert it into your ubuntu machine can you produce a dmesg
> output? I've had one or two that wouldn't mount rw because of
> inconsistances in the filesystem. They mounted fine after an fsck.

Thanks. I tried the fsck, even after unmounting it failed as the device
was considered read-only. Ditto unmounting then attempting to reformat
on the Linux box, fails as read-only. I even reformated it cleanly on
the MS-Windows machine. Still Linux box complains read-only.

Therefore I'm reasonably sure that it is the notch or the lack of tab
which is causing the problem. The question is, which machine is correct;
should an SD card which has a notch, but has no tab, be considered
read-only? I'm wondering whether the card is faulty by design, since it
has a notch but no tab (ie. if the card has a notch, it should have a
tab). Or whether my card reader is faulty by design for insisting on a
tab that need not be there.

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.