[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu using wubi on Vista Home machine.....

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed May 20 10:31:41 BST 2009

I don't understand why you would have had know anything about
partitioning, John - the Ubuntu installer will do that for you.

You just tell it how much space you want to allocate to Ubuntu and it
"steals" it out of the free space on the existing partition.

I am just a subscriber to the "keep it simple" way of thinking, and
adding an extra layer of complication (as Wubi does) seems to have no
great advantage.

Don't get me wrong!  The Wubi developers can probably feel very
pleased with themselves that they've done it, it's an achievement, but
quite why they bothered I don't know.  They could have been creating
something that actually had a use, other than to install the same
Ubuntu in a different place.

I have tried Wubi about 4 times on this laptop and others and every
time it's been an absolute disaster, so I guess I'm jaded.  Some
systems clearly like it and others do not.

Sean