[ubuntu-uk] Some advice

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Tue May 19 11:01:40 BST 2009

Should have broadband again today, so going to download an ISO and
endeavour to fix my broken Jaunty.

Now, a week or so ago somebody said to me that to preserve my data I
simply asked it not to format the partition, which would leave /home
intact.

Two questions :-

a. are there any potential side-effects to this (eg. files left from
the corrupt version that interfere with the new one)?
b. should I set up the default username as something different to the
original (ie. if I use the same username could it decide to delete and
recreate the user, thus blanking the home directory)?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Best,

Sean