[ubuntu-uk] Routers and printers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat May 9 12:22:43 BST 2009

John wrote:
> Isnt there something about companies restricting you from buying routers
> apart from theirs. I belong to Sky, and if Sky found out I had a
> different Router than theirs they would cut me off. There is a way to
> get the username and password that comes with my router, but I am afraid
> to actually go into that just in case I mess it up. I am sure that most
> companies wont allow you to change routers. Which is stupid really
> considering the ones they give you are so basic.
>
> John.

Not usually, in most cases the ISP will let you choose your own
equipment.  Sounds like Sky is an exception to the rule.

I know with BT Broadband they say you can use your own router but it's
unsupported (especially if using something like BT Vision).  I also
believe that with O2 they let use use any router and again just don't
support it.

Rob