[ubuntu-uk] Routers and printers

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Sat May 9 11:49:59 BST 2009

On 05/09/09 11:37, John wrote:
> Isnt there something about companies restricting you from buying routers
> apart from theirs. I belong to Sky, and if Sky found out I had a
> different Router than theirs they would cut me off. There is a way to
> get the username and password that comes with my router, but I am afraid
> to actually go into that just in case I mess it up. I am sure that most
> companies wont allow you to change routers. Which is stupid really
> considering the ones they give you are so basic.
>
> John.
>
> Steve Archer wrote:
>> Hi Rik
>>
>> Most routers, both wired and wireless, are pretty much standard models
>> that you can buy in the shop.
>>
>> The emphasis being on the word "standard" - if you have some
>> fancy-fandangle adapter running an uncertified wifi standard to squeeze
>> some more speed out of the connection (supposedly) then its likely
>> you'll want a compatible router. Which on the whole wouldn't be a router
>> issued by an ISP.
>>
>> My advice, if they're giving it away free then give it a go - likely its
>> pre-configured and ready to rock-n-roll.
>>
>> If you want a bit more out of your wireless, like you're streaming media
>> throughout your house and several devices then do some research and get
>> the most appropriate router for your needs - be prepared to give your
>> wallet a severe bashing.
>>
>> And remember, chances are your internet connection is less then 20meg,
>> and 802.11g is supposed to be 54meg, so there's really no need to go for
>> an all-singing all-dancing super-fast wireless router just for browsing
>> the net.
>>
>> One caveat to this. If you are running services behind your routers,
>> like web hosting, and you want additional control and security then you
>> might want to look at a more funtional router.
>>
>> As for your printer, I concur with Harry's comments.
>>
>> Cheers, Steve
>>

>> Rik Boland wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I got a router free when I got my broadband but shops sell routers.
>>>
>>> Why and what the difference - r they better?
>>>
>>> Also is there a way to make my wired printer wireless?
>>>
>>> Shalom

My current ISP is Plus.Net, and they don't really care what router you
use, as you have to pay extra for theirs. They even have support for
some third-party routers on their site. I used to be with AOL (terrible
service, after escalating my issue about 10 times I finally got to talk
with a 'Senior Support Manager', who told me that the reason my net
connection was downloading at 3 kb/s was Firefox. I tried Internet
Explorer, no difference, so he told me to clear my cookies. Of course,
clearing my cookies cut me off the live support!), and they too didn't
care which router you used, but if you complained about anything they'd
just say it was your router.

- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (a.k.a l33tmyst)