[ubuntu-uk] Routers and printers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat May 9 11:26:06 BST 2009

Rik Boland wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got a router free when I got my broadband but shops sell routers.
>
> Why and what the difference - r they better?
>
> Also is there a way to make my wired printer wireless?
>
> Shalom

It depends on the model you got.  For instance when I signed up with
Virgin 20Mbit broadband I got a basic Netgear cable router which has 54
Meg wireless on it and it does the job fine.  However I could if I
choose to replace this with a faster router which supports the Wireless
N which IIRC is about 270MBit (although I doubt I'd get that sort of
speed and I'd have to upgrade the wireless adaptor on my notebook).

What router did you get from your ISP?

With regards to making your wired printer wireless, I presume it
connects via USB?  You may find that some models of printer have
optional wireless adaptors (I found a HP one which appears to be
specifically for HP printers at about £25 doing a Google search).

Another option may be this Belkin wireless print server at about £45 -
*http://tinyurl.com/rbvr8o

Rob
*