[ubuntu-uk] Go on Linux, was Re: Chess Tournament?

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Tue May 5 08:55:58 BST 2009

2009/5/4 Jim Kissel <jlk at osml.eu>:

> Johnathon Tinsley wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> For any chess lovers in ubuntu-uk, would you like a tournament?
>>
>> Using an online correspondence chess service, like chrss.co.uk, or
>> yahoo's online chess system?
>>
>> Johnathon
>
> Is there a similar service for Go with a Linux Go board?
>
> --
> Life is too short.

Not that I've heard of. I've only really played a computer opponent,
but have you looked at KGS? A lot of the people in Cardiff Go Club
play on that server, but it only offers real-time games rather than a
move at a time.

Last time I looked at cgoban, it was really ugly. I have used a Java
program to draw the board - jago. It will allow you to play against
gnugo (even under Cygwin on Windows), but I haven't done this much. I
normally use igowin running under Wine.

Hmm, that's an awful lot of program names with no URLs in that
paragraph. Let me know if anyone wants more details about any of them.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.