[ubuntu-uk] Permanently disable Compiz

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:24:46 BST 2009

2009/5/3 Steve <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com>:
> On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:18:43 +0100
> Andrew Oakley <andrew at aoakley.com> wrote:
>
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>> > whatever as my WM. Completely turn off and disable Compiz and
>> > compositing, for all users, for good.
>>
>> In Hardy and Intrepid, this was done with System menu, Preferences,
>> Appearance, Visual Effects, None.
>>
>> I'd bet it's the same in Jaunty.
>>
> Found my old notes.
> Using gconf-editor go to
> desktop -> gnome -> applications -> window_manager
> and change the default to metacity from compz

Splendid! Many thanks - I've tried this and will let you know how I get on.

It's still missing the odd keystroke even under Metacity, though.
Definitely much worse than 8.x was. (In the last 2 lines, I lost about
a dozen keystrokes. Only app running is Firefox, system load is just a
few %.)

A friend tells me there are kernel issues on some notebooks with 9.04
- anyone read of this?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508