[ubuntu-uk] Permanently disable Compiz

dan danattwood at googlemail.com
Sun May 3 10:04:40 BST 2009

Liam Proven wrote:
> 2009/5/2 Andrew Oakley <andrew at aoakley.com>:
>
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>>> whatever as my WM. Completely turn off and disable Compiz and
>>> compositing, for all users, for good.
>>>
>> In Hardy and Intrepid, this was done with System menu, Preferences,
>> Appearance, Visual Effects, None.
>>

> As I said in my original post:
>

>>> But even
>>> changing my Appearance settings to None, Compiz is still my window
>>> manager - it's just not adding any effects.
>>>

> AFAICS, anyway, disabling effects still leaves Compiz the WM, just
> with the chrome disabled. It's dog-slow, anyway, whereas Metacity is
> reasonably quick.
>
> It's sufficiently slow that on my Pentium M 1.6GHz PC with 1GB of RAM
> running off a 7200rpm 160GB disk, it can't keep up with my ~80wpm
> typing in Gedit. That's unusably slow to me and makes Ubuntu massively
> unpleasant to use.

I have a similar machine fine that it runs just fine - i'm using ext4
which i find has given it a significant performance boost. However you
could try apt-get remove compiz-core which will completely disable
compiz. This was something i had to do on my X31 in the early  beta
stages of jaunty in order to get it to boot.