[ubuntu-uk] Permanently disable Compiz

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:21:54 BST 2009

I've upgraded the test version of Jaunty on my Thinkpad X31 to the
final release now. It's running quite well and bootup is substantially
faster.

The only snag is Compiz. My ATI Rage Mobility chipset really is not up
to running a composited desktop - it's unusably slow. But even
changing my Appearance settings to None, Compiz is still my window
manager - it's just not adding any effects. I'd like to disable AIGLX
altogether and go back to a simple, 2D desktop with Metacity or
whatever as my WM. Completely turn off and disable Compiz and
compositing, for all users, for good.

Is that still possible?

I can run

metacity --replace

and Metacity takes over from Compiz & things get a bit quicker, but
next reboot, it comes back... Same if I use the "fusion-icon" in the
panel.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508