[ubuntu-uk] to upgrade or not (Macbook 3,1 on Ibex)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:10:18 BST 2009

2009/5/1 Ciarán Mooney <general.mooney at googlemail.com>:
>> I'm curious, what's a Macbook 3.1?  I haven't heard a Macbook referred
>> to like that before.
>
> As apple announce new products others get changed in some way,
> motherboards, ram size etc. So they get given a version number.

Well not exactly. They do, but it's assigned by Apple and not normally
disclosed to the public. It's the machine's model number, held
internally in the firmware and available to software. Mac OS X
normally just identifies a machine as a MacBook or whatever, but the
System Information app (accessed by hitting the "more info..." button
in "About this Mac" does disclose the model number.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508