[ubuntu-uk] remote accessing an ubuntu machine (vnc or similar)

Simos simos.lists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:13:57 BST 2009

2009/3/31 doug livesey <biot023 at gmail.com>:
> Hi -- I already remotely administrate a PC for my Mum & one for my Dad, and
> both are Windows machines.
> So LogMeIn.com is perfect for those.
> However, I am setting up an Ubuntu machine for my brother that will also
> require remote administration, and was wondering about the best way to set
> that up.
> Unfortunately, LogMeIn.com only works for Mac and Windows.
> Could anyone offer any advice?

LogMeIn offers a Linux version of their VPN software.
Look for Hamachi VPN from the same website.
You can configure Hamachi to start automatically on the target computer and
thus establish a secure VPN with your computer. Then, on the target computer
go to System/Preferences/Remote desktop and enable the remote desktop feature.
The Remote Desktop will be enabled obviously for the local network,
however you can access through Hamachi.

Hamachi is not open-source software.

Simos