[ubuntu-uk] remote accessing an ubuntu machine (vnc or similar)

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at sheepeatingtaz.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 16:57:50 BST 2009

2009/3/31 doug livesey <biot023 at gmail.com>

> Hi -- I already remotely administrate a PC for my Mum & one for my Dad, and
> both are Windows machines.
> So LogMeIn.com is perfect for those.
> However, I am setting up an Ubuntu machine for my brother that will also
> require remote administration, and was wondering about the best way to set
> that up.
> Unfortunately, LogMeIn.com only works for Mac and Windows.
> Could anyone offer any advice?
> Cheers,
>    Doug.

I have used gitso (http://code.google.com/p/gitso/) with a reasonable amount
of success, for connecting linux and windows machines in all configurations
(i.e. L->L, L->W, W->L and W->W).

I say reasonable amount of success purely because I don't use it very often,
but everytime I've needed it it works.

It does require instigating by an end user (i.e. they ask for help) which is
different to having full access as and when you want it, but if you are just
supporting your brother, it could be ideal.

If you do want access anytime, then +1 to the ssh option mentioned later in
the thread to where I have replied from.

Steve Garton
sheepeatingtaz.co.uk