[ubuntu-uk] Realtek 8187b Wireless VERY VERY slow

Gordon gbplinux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:59:02 BST 2009

Gordon wrote:
> Installed 8.10 using WUBI on my Toshiba Satellite L40.
> Realtek 8187B Wireless card will see the network and connect to it, but
> is so slow as to be unusable.
> Are there any "fixes" that people know about for this?

Solved! (Sort of...) it seems that the drivers supplied with Ubuntu 8.10
are very susceptible to distance, and don't like being too far away from
the WAP! I moved he laptop about 6 feet, and got 100% signal, and am
downloading updates at the top rate of our broadband as we speak!

Thanks to all who replied.
(I might see about getting another WAP to use as a bridge....)