[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] heads up Computer Shopper mag. begins a new series of articles - Ubuntu

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Mar 30 19:59:15 BST 2009

Computer Shopper magazine May 2009  has a tiny Tux at top centre of
its front cover:
'NEW Section > Linux made easy! It's FREE and easier than you think.'

The section, page 136, is listed as a 'Linux Expert' section, along
with other 'expert' sections.
The title is  'Install Ubuntu Linux', ' Fancy a change from Windows?
Julian Prokaza shows  you how to get started with this powerful free
alternative.'

For the DVD version of the magazine, the Ubuntu iso is included,
otherwise I believe the iso has to be downloaded first.
The two page spread article comprises 15 numbered paragraphs detailing
the steps needed to get a full installation. Step 1 is downloading and
creating the Live Cd. Interestingly the term 'Live CD' is not used, it
is called an 'installation disk'.

The possibility of bios settings not allowing booting from CD is not
mentioned.

The Live CD initial boot menu is described as 'a handful of options'
and is an 'installation menu', with the 'default installation is to
try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer'.

Mmm. An interesting view of an installation. I will not be surprised
if a few slightly confused newcomers begin appearing here, although
the confusion will not be their fault.

And onwards towards paragraph 15:
'Because of its rising popularity, Ubuntu Linux is attracting interest
from malicious hackers, so you need to make sure the latest security
patches are installed......'

There are 14 small screen shots which might add a comfort factor for
some readers, but a magnifying glass is necessary if you want to read
them.

OK. Well sort of. At times I did wonder if the author has any
familiarity with Ubuntu at all.
Anyway. Nice to see it in print in what I had expected to be a bastion
of Windows stuff, and apparently presented in a way that presumably
its Windows users readers will be expected to understand.

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user. No viruses were harmed in sending this message.