[ubuntu-uk] Realtek 8187b Wireless VERY VERY slow

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:13:09 BST 2009

2009/3/28 Gordon <gbplinux at gmail.com>:
> Matthew Daubney wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 08:10 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>>> Installed 8.10 using WUBI on my Toshiba Satellite L40.
>>> Realtek 8187B Wireless card will see the network and connect to it, but
>>> is so slow as to be unusable.
>>> Are there any "fixes" that people know about for this?
>>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> I've got a USB wireless dongle that uses this chipset and have had
>> similar problems. There is a very old bug report at
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/275302 and I've
>> emailed the people who are listed as the module developers, but had no
>> response. It looks like the device just randomly drops a LOT of packets.
>> I've had a quick look at trying to fix it myself, but I don't really
>> understand how these things work!
>>
>> Not very helpful I know, some people have had some success with
>> ndiswrapper, a horrible hack I know, but if it works?
>>
>> -Matt Daubney
>>

> I've been looking at this:
> http://zenzike.blogspot.com/2008/11/wireless-woes.html
> which seems to have had a good response - however I get into trouble
> with the patching process - there is apparently no command "patch" in
> Ubuntu, and when I go to Synaptic to install it, there is no "patch"
> available.
> Any ideas on that one?

Yep, this should be easy to solve! Try installing the
'build-essential' package using your favourite method.

If you're not familiar with installing software on Ubuntu, choose
'Synaptic Package Manager' from the 'System > Administration' menu,
then search for the package name. Click on the empty checkbox and
choose to mark for installation. At the bottom, click the Apply button
and it will install.
I might have missed a step here, so shout if you need more help.

Cofion,
Neil.