[ubuntu-uk] Realtek 8187b Wireless VERY VERY slow

Gordon gbplinux at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:33:54 GMT 2009

Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 08:10 +0000, Gordon wrote:
>> Installed 8.10 using WUBI on my Toshiba Satellite L40.
>> Realtek 8187B Wireless card will see the network and connect to it, but
>> is so slow as to be unusable.
>> Are there any "fixes" that people know about for this?
>
> Hiya,
>
> I've got a USB wireless dongle that uses this chipset and have had
> similar problems. There is a very old bug report at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/275302 and I've
> emailed the people who are listed as the module developers, but had no
> response. It looks like the device just randomly drops a LOT of packets.
> I've had a quick look at trying to fix it myself, but I don't really
> understand how these things work!
>
> Not very helpful I know, some people have had some success with
> ndiswrapper, a horrible hack I know, but if it works?
>
> -Matt Daubney

I've been looking at this:
http://zenzike.blogspot.com/2008/11/wireless-woes.html
which seems to have had a good response - however I get into trouble
with the patching process - there is apparently no command "patch" in
Ubuntu, and when I go to Synaptic to install it, there is no "patch"
available.
Any ideas on that one?