[ubuntu-uk] Squid proxy box with serious IPv6 DNS problem...

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Thu Mar 26 22:15:39 GMT 2009

I think from the description the squid thing is actually a red herring.
(to mix a fishy metaphore). It sounds like your proxy server is not
reliably resolving DNS when using IPV6. You will probably see this
problem if you run firefox on the server.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/netcfg/+bug/24828

not sure how you turned off IPV6, one way is to edit
/ /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
and edit it to have this line:
/alias net-pf-10 off ipv6

a better solution would be to fix the actual problem, one way might be
to point your proxy at openDNS which works fine with v6. I suspect the
DHCP server is pointing your box at a bad router for DNS queries.

Alan.