[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu pre-installed computer prices

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Thu Mar 26 06:44:58 GMT 2009

Eddie Bernard wrote:
> Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:
>

>> Surely for the average user a LTS version would be better, such as 8.04?
>> Development versions and upgrades could raise severe antagonisms to you.
>>

> Fair cop, glad you pointed that out. I need to curb my enthusiasm for
> always wanting to be on the bleeding edge...
>
> Eddie
>
> (apologies if this doesn't thread correctly, I messed up my mailing
> list subscription at first...)

to offer a contrary view I would always go for the latest released
version fully updated. The customer is likely to update it anyway, or
think they are not getting the newest and shinyest operating system
otherwise. LTS is arguably better for servers or corporate desktop
rollouts (if you don't have landscape or any management tools) but for
sellability to geeks and others go for new and shiny. If you can launch
on April 23rd with Jauny pre-installed you might get a burst of
interest. (was thinking of doing that myself)

Alan.