[ubuntu-uk] Large Log Files

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at sheepeatingtaz.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 19:56:57 GMT 2009

Evening all,

I came home today to find my media centre (running ubuntu 8.10) had run out
of disk space. I rotate things on it to keep space free, so it seemed odd.
On investigation, I found some large files that I am hoping someone could
explain?

in /var/log there are 3 files - kern.log, syslog and debug, all are circa
1.8 GB, and time stamped in the last few minutes. There are also 3 files in
there with the same names but with .0 appended, which are time stamped
yesterday. I do have the same files on this laptop, but they are all around
10MB.

Any guidance on what the files are, and what I can do to stop them getting
so big will be appreciated

TIA

Steve Garton
sheepeatingtaz.co.uk