[ubuntu-uk] London Jaunty party

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 20 13:25:35 GMT 2009

Alan Bell wrote:
> I have tentatively put my name forward to help organise the London
> party. Not sure if Canonical have plans, so I sent a couple of emails
> this morning. I have a few ideas, but any thoughts on a good venue would
> be great. I would prefer something with a bar, but not something that
> excludes under 18s and people that don't want to drink.
>
> Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for putting yourself forward.  We touched on this on IRC, but a
follow up.  I have been trying to get info out of Canonical about the
party they are organising, and the UK community are welcome to attend.
They are looking for a venue to house >200 people, as the last release
venue was a touch cramped.  I have been told i'll get confirmation
details next week.

One reason the community hasn't wanted to organise in London, is that
Canonical invariably will - and blow our plans out of the water.  It is
worth noting that we had a release party before Canonical, and some of
the top brass turned up to ours :).

I'm expecting the Canonical bash to just be an evening/night event, if
you are keen enough - it would be great to organise a day time event for
those that can 'get away' during the working week.

For people that don't live in London, regional release parties would
still be a "total win" - However, I will be inclined to travel to the
London one (~230 mile drive!), unless they don't clash - which means
multiple parties!

Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker