[ubuntu-uk] Netbook suddenly stopped recognising network..,..,

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:54:35 GMT 2009

2009/3/18 John <jakewc2 at sky.com>:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I did try that, I remember you showing me when you came over, lol. It
> was one of the things I did remember. lol. It didnt seem to work, and I
> also just tried it again, when you mentioned it, still didnt work.
>
> I then just looked at the drop down menu in the Network manager, and
> found the Connect to Hidden Network link, opened that, entered the info,
> then clicked connect and that seemed to work, and connect tot he
> wireless network. Since then, everything seems to have worked again.
> I've turned it on and off and rebooted, and I'm sending this e-mail via
> the netbook wirelessly. Yippee, got it fixed. Dont know what caused
> that, but its now working.

Ah, so probably what happened is that during the upgrade, it forgot
your wireless settings. Then, because your wireless is hidden (i.e.
not broadcasting the SSID), it didn't show us in the Network Manager
drop down menu.

This is expected behaviour for a hidden network.

I don't think it should have forgotten the wireless settings during
upgrade though.

It's at this point that I would write a text file and save it to my
desktop so I could remember how to fix it if it happens again! But
then again, I'd forget my head if it wasn't firmly attached... :-)

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.