[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu article in current Micro Mart

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 17:58:21 GMT 2009

On 17/03/2009 10:59, Mark Fraser wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has read it, but there is an article in the current issue
> of Micro Mart (12-18 March) about a Windows user attempting to install
> Ubuntu.
>
> Biggest concern is under 'Evening Four' where he tries to edit menu.lst and
> finds he can't save it as he doesn't have the right permissions. So, what
> does he do? He creates a root user, logs in as root using the option enable
> automatic login.
>
> Hopefully someone thinking of trying Ubuntu for the first time won't pay any
> attention to this article.

Ahh, typical mindset of a Windows user.  Run everything as an
administrator.  I was the same when I first started with Linux, I'd run
EVERYTHING as root (on RedHat) and wondered by it would give me a red
background.  I find that sudo on Ubuntu is a good alternative and I find
for the majority of what I do I don't need root permissions anyway.

Rob