[ubuntu-uk] Truly, a vanilla install

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 14 07:09:24 GMT 2009

You may recall I said yesterday:

"I seem to have done one stupid thing: trying to get embedded YouTube
videos to play in the Firefox browser in Ubuntu 8.10, I installed two
plug-ins one after another, neither of which helped at all One of them
can be disabled (though not uninstalled),via Firefox > Tools > Add-ons,
namely Gnash 0.8.4, but the other one seems to have vanished into the
Firefox configuration without possibility of disabling or uninstalling,
namely SWFdec 0.8.0, and I would like to get rid of both of them and try
again, since right now any attempt to run embedded videos just hangs the
browser, so that I have to use a forced close on it. I have not tried to
alter or remove the video player utilities that came with the Ubuntu
8.10 LiveCD, which is otherwise running perfectly. So, any advice on how
to roll back these (or all) add-ons and plug-ins I myself have installed
today would be great. Thanks."

I found the web pages on SWFdec, and in fact if I had been sensible
enough to have read them first, I would never have installed the thing,
but I had grown to assume that if something featured on the Firefox
add-ons pages, without heavy warnings pasted all over it, it would be
safe:
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage

Specifically, they say there:

"Swfdec is the library for decoding and rendering Flash animations. It
is still in heavy development. The intended audience are developers or
people using it for pretested Flash animations (think embedded here). If
you use it on unknown content, expect it to have issues and don't be
surprised if it crashes. If you encounter such a crash however, make
sure to file a bug immediately."