[ubuntu-uk] comprehensively messed up by updates

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:48:54 GMT 2009

I wouldn't mind installing 8.10, and then I could run all the updates as
and when they appear, and enjoy all the cutting edge improvements. But
it's true that I do not know whether the non-default interface driver
was necessitated by the particular interface card used by Compal, the
manufacturer of the machine, in which case my problem would re-appear
even on 8.10, wouldn't it?

I didn't try running the kernel re-install disc, because then I would
have had to find all the essential applications somehow, including the
one needed to find them online, i.e., the Internet browser, it seems to
me, whereas I would hope that a complete new install of 8.10 would
include a browser. To be stuck without a browser and without an
installable version on disc ready in advance would be fatal, wouldn't
it?