[ubuntu-uk] comprehensively messed up by updates

Chris Bannister (ubuntu mialing lists) chris+ubuntu at suddenmoves.org.uk
Mon Mar 9 09:07:33 GMT 2009

On 09/03/09 07:22, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> I gotta tell you, this is worse than I thought. I set the update manager
> to exclude "proprietary device drivers (restricted)" and allowed it to
> download and install everything else, and it again totally screwed up
> the machine, knocking out among other things the high-resolution
> display, so I had to re-install the whole of ubuntu from the restore
> disc all over again.

I'm guessing you have an nvidia or ati graphics card? Both of these can
use proprietary drivers to enable 3d acceleration (and advanced 2d
acceleration on newer NV cards).  Easiest way to fix it would be to
install the drivers again (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers)
rather than a complete restore / reinstall.

It should also be possible to reconfigure X to use the appropriate FOSS
driver if you want.  (sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg)