[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading, was: booting the ubuntu restore DVD

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Mar 6 10:21:13 GMT 2009

2009/3/6 Michael Holloway <michael at thedarkwinter.com>:
> After using your system recovery CD (and not updating your system) you
> just need to download and burn Jaunty to cd, and then put in in while
> ubuntu is running. It will pop up a message saying "Do you want to
> update?". Problem solved.

Careful with instructions such as this. Your brief upgrade guide
breaks under multiple circumstances.

1) If he's running 8.04 (which I believe he is) then it will be an
unsupported upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04
2) If he download and burns the Live desktop CD then this option is
not provided, only the alternate CD can be used to upgrade in-place
3) It doesn't detail gotchas that certainly will be there in the upgrade.

Therefore I'd always recommend pointing people to the official upgrade
guide so they can make an educated decision about how and whether to
upgrade.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading is usually a good place to
start, and it'll be update when 9.04 releases.

Cheers,
Al.