[ubuntu-uk] booting the ubuntu restore DVD

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:46:35 GMT 2009

It turned out to be, press F12 at the POST screen, as it states in the
bottom, then select the optical drive when the boot device menu appears.
It seems to have worked. To prevent all  this from happening again,  I
need to go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources, and uncheck
the Update tab. Hopefully it will be OK now. Sometime in the future I
may learn to use Updates selectively, or install DKMS, which is clearly
not especially easy. If I get it online tomorrow, I shall drop you all
an email from it. Thanks for all the advice ...