[ubuntu-uk] Learning Ubuntu....

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 14:12:40 GMT 2009

Ian,

Ian Betteridge wrote:
> I approve of this wild topic drift :)

Yes, me too! I was a grewat lover of OpenVMS (to give it its proper
name) and all things VAX and Alpha. I still have an Alpha workstation
running OpenVMS running under my desk!

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net
> <mailto:sean at seanmiller.net>> wrote:

>     What did they call PF1?
>
>     Was it "the gold key" or something?

Yes, it was the gold key. I think on some keyboards it was actually
coloured gold. It acted as a kind of meta or shift key.

>     It was the basis of pretty much every editing command we used to do in
>     edt/tpu... cut was PF1-4 I think etc. etc.

The beauty was you could quite easily redefine which keys did what,
which was a problem providing support to a user who had completely
re-arranged his/her key functions!

And, of course, VMS invented clustering and did it (and still does) much
better than any system since (IMHO).

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk