[ubuntu-uk] Non-default driver

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 16:48:08 GMT 2009

Rowan wrote:
> Excellent stuff, Tony, thanks again.
>
> uname -a gives
> Linux ubuntu 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> administration/system monitor/system gives
> Ubuntu Release 8.04 (hardy)
> Kernel Linux 2.6.24-23-generic
> GNOME 2.22.3

Hello, Rowan.

OK, you are running the 8.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release, which is
more stable, but it might not have the latest drivers. According to the
Compal JHL 90 service manual. Your laptop has a Realtek RTL8111c NIC
(Network Interface card):

http://service1.marasst.com/Compal/JHL90_91/Service Manual/

    Askey/AgereAM5/CastleNet/Moto
     V.92/56K bps; V.90/56K bps
    JHL91/JHT01 LAN: 10/100Mbps, Realtek RTL8102e
-> JHL90/JHT00 LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps, Realtek RTL8111c
    Wireless LAN, 802.11a/g/n, Intel Shirley Peak (option)
    802.16e Mobile WiMAX and 802.11abgn, Intel Echo Peak
     (TBC)
    Antenna: WiMAX x 2
    Bluetooth USB type, ver 2.1, Foxconn (Broadcom) (Option)

The RTL8111 driver doesn't work properly with the 'generic' kernel used
in Hardy, which is probably why your supplier used a different driver:

In fact, it does look like a very nice laptop :-)

My advice is to obtain an Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid CD, and try booting it
'live' (I can send you one if you can't get one locally). That way you
can tell if your hardware is supported by the current Ubuntu release.

You can get a free Ubuntu CD from Canonical:

	https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

You could always ask your supplier to upgrade your laptop to Ubuntu 8.10
if you don't want to do that yourself. However, it's not difficult to
install Ubuntu, and there are plenty of people here on this list willing
to help you learn if you want to give it a try...

Bye,

	Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK