[ubuntu-uk] RAID 1 with three drives

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 12:39:48 GMT 2009

Samuel Toogood wrote:
>>2009/3/2 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
>>> The idea I had was if this is possible, I could attach
>>> one of the drives externally via eSATA so it can be
>>> taken off site and in the event of a server failure
>>> this off site backup could be plugged in
> Are you thinking of this as the only backup? Recovery of accidentally
> deleted files might be a bit fiddly if so.

The solution I've seen to this, is to have a number of external drives,
which you attach in rotation. For example, four drives and rotate once a
week, so maximum data loss is one week.

Cheap and nasty, but also simple and effective.

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.