[ubuntu-uk] Non-default driver

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:03:00 GMT 2009

Could people kindly amplify the following cryptic instructions from
LinuxCertified's engineers so that a complete ignoramus like me can
follow them? I have reproduced the lines of code EXACTLY as transmitted.
My current machine is getting rather wonky, so I need to get all this on
paper pronto.

"r8168 only applies to the Ethernet controller, and r8168 is the only
non-default driver module that will be affected by updates. If you want
to use r8169 make sure to unblacklist it and remove r8168. Since your
interface is inoperable due to the fact that Ubuntu itself auto-updated
the kernel, you will need to do one of the following in a terminal as
the root user.

To use the ubuntu default r8169 driver:
1. mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.bak
2. sed 's/blacklist r8169/#blacklist r8169/' /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.bak >
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
3. reboot

To use the r8168 driver, which we installed for preference:
1. cd /root/lc2000/r8168-8.008.00
2. make clean modules
3. depmod -a
4. reboot"